Benjamin Crowe

Born in Yarmouth, England, Benjamin Crowe came to Australia when he was fourteen years old. Over time he built up a large property holding in Parramatta, Holroyd and Granville and also owned a property "Hensby" in the Monaro district. Taking an active role in local public affairs, he became an alderman of Prospect and Sherwood Council (now Holroyd) for a number of years and was also Mayor for a term. In the last few years of his life he lived at Concord. When he died on 4th October 1927,he left an estate worth 45 thousand pounds and was survived by his widow, two sons and two daughters.

Francis James Warren

"Mr Warren, of Five Dock, who died on Tuesday, was well known in Parramatta. He enlisted from here in the early days of the war and served in Gallipoli with the 13th Battalion. Mr Warren, who was 46, leaves a widow and two sons." Cumberland Argus & Fruitgrowers Advocate 15th August 1935.

Francis Warren is buried in an unmarked grave in the cemetery.

Duncan Campbell

The 'Cumberland Argus" noted the death of Duncan Campbell with:                                                  "Who amongst old Parrmattans did not know the great overland drover, Mr Duncan Campbell, the man who probably blazed more stock routes through Australia than any man who ever lived."

Campbell arrived from Scotland in 1838 with his parents and brothers and sisters and took on droving as a young man, and became one of the great pioneer drovers of Australia, successfully droving cattle from as far north as Cooktown to Victoria. Some of the mobs he travelled with numbered in the thousands. He did this for 40 years.

His memory was wonderful and on the night before he died he was giving an interview with someone who was recording by-gone events of history of what we call today an oral history.

He was well and hearty on Saturday night, on Sunday morning when he had arisen, he collapsed on the floor, the spirit had flown.

Duncan Campbell died 2nd December 1917, in Brisbane Street, Granville and was in his 88th year.

John and Christina Stenhouse

John Stenhouse was born in Scotland in 1852 and arrived with his wife Christina and three children per the 'Illawarra' in 1883. He was 5'5" tall, weighed 138ibs, balding, and a stonemason. This was his description when he was sent to jail for fourteen years for the manslaughter of his wife who died 14th April 1914, aged 58 years.

The Stenhouse family lived in Pennant Street, Parramatta North. Their son Norman was coming home from Lithgow, to spend some time with his parents over Easter. On reaching the family home near All Saints' Church, he found his mother lying unconscious, bleeding to death on the kitchen floor. Dr. Kearney was called and Mrs Stenhouse was taken to hospital. For some reason no one called the police.

Later in the evening it was incidentally mentioned to the police. A stonemason's hammer, with what looked like human hair on it was found in the house. John Stenhouse was charged the next day. He died at the Rookwood Asylum in April 1924.

John Stenhouse will be remembered as one of the two stonemasons who built the Centennial Fountain in Parramatta - shown pictured.